Saturday, September 22, 2007

Conversation


I was invited to join my daughter and friends at their monthly book club meeting. They usually meet on the beach with wine and brie, etc. but I cannot walk over the dune with these knees. Due to a rain that evening they met at a local Mexican restaurant to discuss a book about the chef of "Mastering the Art of French Cooking".  Julie Powell wrote a book called "Julie and Julia" in which she resolves to cook all of the recipes in Julia Child's book and do it in one year.  I've laughed, winced, commiserated and been astonished that she succeeded.  The discussion was almost better than the book. I've missed the exchange of ideas between a variety of ages. We all brought views from different experiences, travels and jobs. They all had an interplay with the occurrences in the book.  I have always believed that this  cookbook has never-fail recipes because Julia tells you exactly what to do, how to do it, pitfalls and what to do if something does go wrong.  We all recommend this read!

No comments: