Sunday, January 4, 2009

12 Days of Christmas


I am always amazed at the Christmas trees at the curbside on December 26.  My family felt December 25 was the Christ Mass and January 6 was the day of gifts, the day the Wise Men came. They bowed to  tradition and we had many gifts on December 25 but always had a special gift on January 6th. I've always enjoyed the tree more after the 25th when I could sit and remember the occasion for each precious ornament and laugh with the family over the silly ones. Since we traveled so much the tree has ornaments from all duty stations and travels around the world. 

For years I succumbed to collecting various versions of Father Christmas.  Friends and family gifted me with many selections. Soon they were too many and the real joy  got a little lost in the abudance. So I pared down by sharing the collection. This one is my favorite, a gift from my daughter. He is about 30 inches tall. I wish I had his coat but I would settle
for the gloves. They are so plush. The little lamb will be a remembrance of the yarn share I have purchased from the Martha's Vinyard Fiber Farm. Every time I looked at him I thought of the newborns growing their coats (my fiber) and dreamed of yarn to be.

Our Christmas was special for the friends who shared it with us. We made topiaries and kissing balls, wreaths and a gingerbread house. I could not help with the house as I was the recipient of the Christmas Cold. I am just getting around again, what a doozy it was. But the house, well the house was just perfect!




Tomorrow I will try to show you one or two of my favorite ornaments of 50 years of collecting. I'll be caught up on my photos and ready for the Three Kings. Would they bring us frankincense and myrrh or even a little gold to help the economy? But no, I'll settle for peace and well-being for you and your loved ones, and for all the peoples of our earth.

2 comments:

vlb5757 said...

I am glad that you had a lovely Christmas! I love the Santa Claus collection. I am sure they are all wonderful. I can't wait to see more pictures! See you on Saturday!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas; I'm glad!

Your tree is gorgeous; I look forward to seeing some of the ornaments up close.