Thursday, June 12, 2008

Crumble!

Last night I took my knitting life in my two hands and ripped out my pride and joy.  I finally tried on my Monkey sock and it did not look good on my leg!  About 25 tears ago, while playing football, I broke my two leg bones at the bottom and completely severed them to the extent both needed to be pinned together, one actually had to be threaded together.  Both muscle packages had to be cut to get to the bones and therein began my problems. My ankle swells and bone growth at the site has meant my ankle is very thick from the heel diagonally  up to the point where leg meets foot.  SO . .  unless I have very stretchy yarn I need to increase the needle size as I start the heel flap and continue to the end of the gusset when I will shift back to the smaller needle.  And only on one sock!!!  I loved the way it looked but the 16 stitch pattern and the yarn I chose did not look good on the larger needles and on the smaller it just was stretched so far it lost definition. 
As is my habit there is good news.  Now that I know what to do  I can return to yarn and pattern and needle selection with much more of a confident feeling. Whew!

So now I am starting over. The color is coffee, in an Austerman step yarn with aloe and jojoba.
There is a tiny stripe of a very soft orange so I have some strong orange reinforcement yarn for the heels.  Might as well make a statement for all the time I am taking!

Gosh I love knitting, it's so relaxing.  tee hee hee

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you notice you said "25 tears ago"; was that your sub conscience speaking of your sorrow at having to rip the sock ;-) I love how you always find the positive; you're truly an inspiration!

Cheryl in AZ said...

I would see it as practice for getting those muscle memories into your fingers. Soon doing all of the stitches you are wanting to try will be easy, and there will be stitch definition because you have certain things down patt.

I too noticed the 25 'tears' ago, and thought of many possibilities that were lurking about.
See you soon.

vlb5757 said...

I am sorry that you had to frog the Monkey, but better now than further into the sock. I love my Austermann socks. They are soft and very comfortable. Good luck wih this other pair of socks.