Sunday, January 14, 2007

5 projects at once

I find that I am acquiring knitting projects faster than rabbits reproduce. One project is a Tahki child’s hat that is really adorable. I’ve only done about 12 rows but I love the feel of the cotton and the pattern. I need more colors than are available in the local yarn stores. The yarn is more expensive on the web. WHY? The additional postage is understandable but the price per skein varies from $4.99 locally to $6.50 on the web.

Another project is a scarf I ordered from “knitty” in merino wool called BILBAO. My daughter and I have always wanted to see the Frank Gehry museum at Bilbao so the name appealed to me. The order process was simple (they get 4 stars for that!) and the response time was 3 days. WOW! The color was listed as “tin” and I expected it to be lighter but my daughter loves the color so it’s all right. After all it is grey so I can KAL to Grey’s Anatomy. It has been years since I knitted in fingering yarn but it is good practice to knit on this yarn before Tuesday’s class when I start my sock’s on 1’s, and dpn’s to boot on fingering yarn.

I knit another triangular scarf (see photo) in basically a burgundy color mix but at the end when I unraveled, I unraveled the long edge instead of the triangular one and had to frog the whole thing. So I am starting that again. The chenille and eyelash will never be my favorite thing to knit. Too many strings to get picked up and add stitches but we love the scarves.

Just finished the Yarn Harlot’s “Knitting Rules”. First I started laughing, then reading passages aloud to the non-knitters and then MAGIC happened. I hesitate to call them “tricks” because these are things discovered by making mistakes, correcting them, then admitting them and sharing the results. It recalled to mind the first armhole facing I ever did. I won a sewing machine in October. Newly pregnant, I was going to the Virgin Islands for Christmas. We were living in Norfolk, VA. I did not want to buy winter and summer maternity clothes so I sewed some simple “tanks”. The first facing went in 6 times. By the time I had it perfected I was a facing expert. I can teach anyone!!!

1 comment:

Jae said...

LOL! I sometimes find that projects just seem to mysteriously appear in my house. Atleast that's what I tell my hubby when he asks if I have enough stash, do I need more? ;)

Welcome to blogging!