Thursday, January 18, 2007

ROcky sock start

Have you ever been absolutely sure you can do something, only to find out when you start you are very inept….bungling, uncomprehendingly, all fingers, falling all over yourself! Tonight I had my much-anticipated first class in knitting socks. After knitting for over 41 years, I found I was the least capable in the class, dropping stitches, casting on much too tight, unable to hold 4 needles and knit with a fifth, on and on. IT WAS NOT WHAT I HAD ANTICIPATED!

So switch on the brainpower on, Romelda! Why does the pattern call for 5 needles? Maybe when I reach the heel I will need that many? For now I see no reason so I have moved all stitches to 4 needles and suddenly I am not the clumsiest person in the universe. The triangle is a LOT easier than the square! I’ve done an inch in less than an hour as opposed to 3 rows in 2 days. It’s only 72 stitches for gosh sake!!

I read a blog entry on “Some Knitting Required” concerning her request for sponsors for KNIT MICHIGAN. What a marvelous idea. I am so amazed at the creative efforts to raise money to fight cancer. I’ve lost so many family members, friends, a next-door neighbor, parents of friends, and even 2 dogs to this horrible disease. Jae and her friends have found a way to help and have fun knitting. Impressive! I sent a contribution. You can too!

Dearest hubby bought me a balance dome to celebrate my last day of current physical therapy. It is very helpful in lunges and keeping my core in good balance. My surgery is for April 20th and I will then return to physical therapy. Lots of work to do to be in best shape for my new knee!! With great happiness in my son’s next phone call, I explained his Dad’s unexpected gift. He said I could keep that one or the one he had sent which should arrive the next day. How did I deserve 2 such great guys. I am truly blessed. Now to work. With my biking “100 by April 1” I estimate I will put in at least an hour each day. May be I will track it here so Shep can follow. He has been encouraged, I think by me, and now has a personal trainer. Many years ago his left femur was shattered in a freak accident and he has had a weak muscle structure in that thigh. He was my very best supporter during a rough recovery from rotator cuff surgery so we encourage each other. Not that other family members don’t help, they are VERY supportive. Shep and I just have a very personal understanding of physical trauma and it’s hard recovery.

1 comment:

Jae said...

I struggled with my first sock. The pattern called for four needles. I couldn't master the triangle. I did much better when I spread them out on five. So, obviously you and have opposite sock needs. ;)