Thursday, May 10, 2007

new found pleasures!

I have been mostly house-bound due to complications awaiting knee replacement surgery and have relied on my spouse for so much. He is a treasure and a great pleasure! But a new found pleasure is the luxury of organizing. Since I have difficulty walking, standing, etc. I sit alot and go through drawers, shelves, stashes, etc. Things that piled up for the past 21 years that I was working are outta here! As a service brat then wife I was used to moving every 2-3 years. You clean house often and pare down to meet your weight allowance when that happens. . I remember those times fondly. We have been here 40 years! As I look around at the accumulated "stuff" I am horrified at how fast it piles up.

But now (please imagine great smile on face) it is on the move OUT.

One of my found pleasures today was a book I got for Christmas from my son. He finds the most extraordinary presents. One year at a holiday in Key West he took pictures of all my family homes, schools I had attended, anything with sentimental value, put them all in an album and surprised me with it under the tree. What a treasure it was and he is! This book is an explanation of kitchen science. If you are an Alton Brown (TV Food Network) fan you will enjoy this. Can you really fry an egg on the sidwalk? Does belching contribute to global warming? These and many other mysteries and myths are explained. Virginia Purl you would like this, I bet! So while I wait I am de-stuffing. I'll bet George Carlin would be proud of me.

I am also knitting Duduza dolls. What a neat way to use of little bits of yarn!

1 comment:

vlb5757 said...

Ro-Yup, I really love that Alton book. I met him a few years ago at a chef's conference in Kansas City, MO. He was funny and so up beat! I got an autographed copy and some pics with him. What a thrill.

Decluttering is so freeing. I can identify about being a military brat and having to purge every four years. We have been here 14 and the purging has begun. How did I let this "stuff" rule my life?? It's just so liberating. Good Luck! How about a yard sale so you can buy something special for yourself?