Tuesday, May 1, 2007

He's not 75!

This past weekend was my husband's 75 birthday. He rides with a bicycle club 3 times a week and on Saturday we had a huge cake with this picture on it and OJ and bananas and bagels. All things the riders like. He had a silly hat with a propeller on top that said "I don't want to grow up". I just love the man so much! Sunday we had a back yard surprise with a diverse age group of friends that also love him.I've made arrangements to get him a new Smith and Wesson target pistol to replace the one that was stolen. He also picked out a new teak round table and chairs to go on the deck. He loves to sit out there and read. Happy Birthday my love!

I have recently read (again and for the third time) the historical fiction novels of Inglis Fletcher. She was such a firm believer in extensive research and so committed to accuracy that she steeped herself in details of everything from historical events to what people ate and wore. I have actually traveled the pathways of some of her novels and can pick out the scenes she wrote about. Her characters and their descendants reappear from book to book, take part in intricate plots, adventures and love stories that blend with actual past events and personages. I read of English and Scottish settlers that walked the very grounds I live on and I can feel their presence. She definitely makes me appreciate those early settlers that helped to give me what we have today. The books were all written in the 30’s, 40’s and 50’s and are definitely not the novels of today. No titillating sex scenes, but beautiful command of the ENglish language depicting 200 years of Carolina history told in a compelling style that makes me always want more. I have my Mother to thank for the recommendation when I was much younger, i reread them when we moved to the area in the late 60’s and now I am enjoying them again. In you like historical fiction grounded in real events try these, you ‘ll like it!

Tomorrow I see the cardiologist and we will finally start things moving. I look forward to that!

No comments: