Saturday, August 25, 2007

Ravelry

Whew! Ravelry has created a problem. I've been in it for a while, 2 months or so and a little overwhelmed. I had to sit back and decide where to start. I am a slow learner! SO I started cataloging all my books in LIBRARY THING and books started appearing from all over the house. When sock books start disappearing under the bed and baby bootie books are in the bathroom and scarvf books are in the garage, there is an accumulation problem! Now 2 shelves in the studio (ex-living room) hold my knitting books. Another shelf has quilting, needlepoint and cross stitch, But at least I know what I have, bookwise. Next was the yarn. Hey, I only started knitting seriously last November. But then there was some holiday money and the my LYS went out of business and then I discovered I like to touch yarn and cuddle it and it follows me home! I haven't found the authoritative voice to say "bad yarn go back" and so it just comes on in to the house and takes up occupancy! Ooooh, what a lot of yarn and in less than a year. So, Rav has been a big help in making me face THE YARN ADDICTION. I have no idea what I am going to kit with this stuff. Most of it I just like to look at and cuddle. The project page gave me a severe case of the FINISHIES as I faced my worst nightmare. Bag after bag of unfinished (UFO=unfinished and formerly unfound objects) items are not sitting in plain sight and everyone can see. A-a-a-agh there are so many! Enough to cover the top of the bed. So I swore (yes dear reader, I do swear, mostly in 5 or 6 letter Spanish or French but once or twice in American, but not often because everyone knows what you are saying) but I swore not to buy anymore yarn until. . . and I promply succumbed to a skein of sock yarn that I saw knitted up. I never would have believed it would look THAT good, so I just had to purchase. I've 22 UFO'S which I am not going to list, noting the number is embarasing enough. It will be sufficient enough to show them as they are finished. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Cheryl in AZ said...

The first step in an addiction is to admit publicly that you have a problem...giggle
So, join the club of those of us who are addicted, and be proud that you have made yourself public and accountable.
Me, on the other hand, I just continue to read and click, and click and read all the info available on Ravelry. I guess as my work schedule settles into place I will have to make time for realizing my addiction and deal with the stash.
My only issue is, that then leaves less time for finishing off items that are currently WIPs (sounds like a doo loop to me)

I am with you girl, maybe now I will be inspired to get my stuff out there in public too.

vlb5757 said...

I am with Cheryl. List those projects and get that "yarn monkey" off your back. So decide to make one year of your life "The Year of the UFO". You will be surprised how many you will get done. I have two or three UFOs right now but with teaching and working, I really don't have time to start anything new anyway. So if I get through this lace shawl class, I think I will concentrate of finishing my UFOs and get them behind me and over with.