Wednesday, July 4, 2007

HAPPY BIRTHDAY USA

When my husband was active duty USN we were transferred to the Philipines. Megan was 1 and Shep was born over there. When our orders came to return to the States Megan was 3. She could not understand going "home" or going to the "states". Shep turned 1 the day our ship sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge. In the ensuing year we tried to explain the concept of our country and had a birthday party for America on the fourth. We invited all the neighbors, had all the traditional favorites and sang "happy birthday" to America. This continued for a few years and gradually fell away when the kids wanted to go places to see fireworks and to the beach. I miss it. This year Shep was on a plane from Australia today and will be landing in DC as fireworks go off over the Capitol. Megan and her friends are going to the beach for fireworks. I will stay home with a swollen ankle. I will miss festivities but not the day. Independence day lives in my heart aong with my pride in the USA.

so Happy Birthday America. You are still my favorite country and I am proud to be an American. I still get chills to say the Pledge of Allegiance and I have sung all the verses to the Star Spangled Banner. When we lived overseas, the base movie would always play the National Anthem at the start of the movie and show scenes of home. On the last line " ... and the home of the brave" they would show the WHite House and I always choked up. Many brave citizens have given their lives to protect the ideals I hold dear and I pledge to protect them also. So Happy Birthday America and many more to come.

1 comment:

vlb5757 said...

Ro-I come from a military family and married someone in the military, and both my sons have served in the Army. I get choked up over national holidays and going to DC still gives me goose bumps. I am proud of being an American no matter what!

Glad to see you at the Guild. Sorry that you didn't stay a tad longer to talk. I hope that you get things back to normal soon. I know you have just been through the wringer!

I put my name on the list for Raverly. We shall see!