Saturday, July 7, 2007

VIVE le TOUR

Vive the Tour de France Knit along!
Last night the yarns of my house discovered the Knit ALong. They came for the prologue from my knitting basket, from under the couch, from the basket in the side table, from under the pillow on my bed, the depths of the old armchair, from the boxes on my shelves, from the little sock tote bag my secret pal sent me, and even the shopping bag from my lys, the Knitting Corner that I bought today. They came from places where I did not know yarn had been stashed. The excitment among them was palpable. The chatter built as the time for the start neared. Soon they began to form into teams, the greens seem to model Discovery. I distinctly heard one say he intended to be carbon negative. Once they chose up teams, the race began in earnest, each one trying to be THE ONE to be knitted first. A small skein of neon pink was not a favorite but really put up a good show and had an perfect gauge on the test swatch. We have a winner. Destined to be a cape for a teacup pug this yarn came in first. All the others were gracious, after all, we have many days ahead. As I cleared up from the prologue I heard a yarn who had been here a while explain to a newcomer, a laceweight, that the peloton could be hard on the newbies and to stick close.

J'aime tricoter
J'aime le Tour de France Knit Along!

4 comments:

knitseashore said...

Is this a little cape for your dog? I can't wait to see the photos!!

teabird said...

Oh gracious - what a nightmare! My stash has been pretty peaceful, with only an occasional case of spontaneous snarling... The dog is just adorable, and I'm eager to see the little cape!

Cheryl in AZ said...

Now I know why I keep my yarn scattered and in sealed totes, it definitely keeps the chatter and yammering to a dull roar. I must admit though the batch in my closet behind my winter clothes (out of sight of DH) tends to humm most everytime I go in the closet to find something to wear. I am thinking those need a new home or a sealed tote.
Getting ready to head off to my 2 night retreat with my Dear Freunde Rachael. We are looking forward to a massage, a manicure/pedicure and hours upon hours of knitting in the parlour, on the porch, with tea, and before bed. I can feel the relaxation setting in already.

See You on Saturday I hope. Good luck to all your lucky yarns in the coming days.

jae said...

ROFL! I can just picture it in my head - all those yarns lining up for the start of the race.